Friday, February 13, 2009

En Garde! Fencing 5 year olds!

OMG! Is that the cutest thing you ever saw? Wait a second.....A five year old fencing? Yikes, right? I have to admit that I too was wondering who in the hell would give a 5 year old a sword. But, nonetheless, when I saw it offered in Lulu's school’s enrichment program I thought, “How cool…Lulu can be a sword fighting princess!” My little swashbuckler loves it. She is the only girl in her class and I think that’s pretty awesome. While she is the princess, there is also Luke Skywalker, Anakin (Darth Vader BEFORE he was bad.explained to me VERY clearly) and a Jack Sparrow.
With the appropriate gear fencing is actually pretty safe. Once you see your child doing it the concerns vanish- at least they did for me. They learn the dangers and respect the foil. (Foil being the fancy word for the sword)
Children need to be able to concentrate and tolerate the repetition of it. Added to this, they must be physically coordinated, have good balance and have some sense of timing and depth perception. Fencing may also cultivate these attributes, but it doesn't create them.
I am continually amazed at how much these little ones pay attention and DO concentrate. They do their little exercises, then suit up and “En Grade” there they go. So my point? Fencing is really fun and exciting exercise for kids and they feel really kind of cool doing it. Lulu is always very excited for her Friday “sword fighting” class. And if anything makes me smile, it is seeing Lulu in the fencing gear. It kills me! So friggin cute. And the Uggs...

-SBH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home