Tuesday, May 23, 2006

War Vs. Children

We normally don't go crazy on editorial comments or opinions on public policy, but this really got me:

The cost of the Iraq war TODAY is
282 BILLION DOLLARS - and climbing by the second!

Three things crossed my mind as I read this report:
1. Is this where all my hard-earned tax dollars are going? 2. Where is all the extra money coming from because I know my tax rate (nor my salary) is going up as fast as this exponential counter and 3. That for all this money, the United States could have paid for:

•37 million children to attend Head Start for 1 year.
•health insurance for 169 million children for 1 year.
•the hiring of 5 million additional public school teachers for 1 year.
•13 million 4 yr. scholarships at public universities.
•the funding of global anti- hunger efforts for 11 years.
•world-wide AIDS programs for 28 years.
•every child in the world to receive basic immunizations for 94 years.

So you tell me, what is our money better spent on? Think about your vote in the next election. Click here for

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home