Friday, May 19, 2006

Birthing plan giggles

I realized this morning how incredibly different the whole experience of having a second child is. All the drama with a first born is gone. There are no parties, no packing and repacking of the hospital bag, no grand preparations. It is just so blase. As my second is due in a few weeks, I REwrote my birthing plan this morning. I got a good laugh out of my first one because it is so damn important. Then I got a second good laugh by the new one which is basically a third as long and lacks the severity of the first.
My favorite is:
In the first birthing plan it says "I am interested in pain medication only if I am unable to handle the pain...I would like to handle the pain in the following ways: Massage, breathing techniques, shower, bath." The second says; "I would like an epidural as soon as possible." Then I have all this stuff about the positions I would like to try during delivery and the "equipment" I would like available to me. Oh please....Just get him out.

First time visitors of motherhood are so prepared and so serious in their plans. But it is very sweet and adds to the overall excitement of the whole "event." It is maybe a little sad that this is lost on the second and those following, but I am sure that the newborn is loved just as much and with as much passion as the first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home