Saturday, September 30, 2006

Nutrional Guidelines For Breastfeeding

This is a copy of a handout I got from the Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center a few months ago...It has some good tips and I've thrown in a few of my own.

Eat a variety of foods from ALL the food groups. Making milk requires a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as adequate calories. You may experience an increase in appetite, so snacking between meals can be helpful. You can expect an even bigger appetite when nursing multiples.

WHAT TO EAT WHILE BREASTFEEDING
* Bread, cereal, rice and pasta: 6-11 servings/day- Cool- does this mean I get to have 11 pieces of toast?????
* Vegetables: 3-5 servings/day Remember you don't want to eat anything "gassy" because it can make a colicky baby even more colicky. This includes such vegetables as Broccoli, cabbage and onions.
* Fruit: 2-4 servings/day Too much citrus can cause diaper rash.....
* Protein (beef, chicken, fish, nuts, tofu, beans): 2-3 servings/day. From my own personal experience when I eat red meat, my milk comes in like crazy!

COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How much fluid do I need to drink each day?
Drink enough fluid for urine color to be very light or clear, and drink when you ar thirsty. Limit caffeine containing beverages to 1-2 cups per day.

Can I drink alcohol?
You may have up to one alcoholic drink per day, and drink only after the baby is fed and asleep. Does a whole bottle of wine count as one drink? Sometimes after a particularly bad day I have indulged in more then one glass of wine. It doesn't seem to affect the baby. And NO I don't get trashed so YES I can tell if it is in fact affecting the baby!

What about weight loss?
Remember that part of the weight gained in pregnancy is an "energy deposit" to meet the caloric demands of breastfeeding. Most women naturally loss weight while nursing, especially between the 4th and 9th month. I sure hope so because I weigh the same as I did when I left the hospitol and my baby is almost 4 months old....
Crash or fad diets may be harmful to you and your milk supply.

Can I eat sushi?

YES! Remeber like any raw food, sushi can carry parasites or bacteria that can make you ill. Eat only the freshest sushi that is prepared at restaurants or markets you trust. Well duh....My rule is if it smells fishy don't eat it!

I don't consume dairy products, is this a concern?
Calcium is an important component of a breastfeeding mother's diet. The Recommended Dietary Intake for a lactating woman is 1200 mg daily. A supplement may be helpful to meet your needs. A cup of milk has 350mg of calcium per cup. A cup of whole almonds also has 350 mg of calcium. Other calcium rich foods are spinach, salmon, soy milk and sesame seeds.

How can a vegetarian get enough iron in her diet?

Iron rich foods are not limited to meats. Good sources of iron also include spinach, chickpeas, carob, dried beans, dried fruit, wheat germ, soybeans, and leafy green vegetables. To help enhance iron absorption, eat foods high in vitamin C (oranges, tomatoes, lemons, strawberries)
Is it okay to take herbal supplements and drink herbal teas while I breastfeed?
Remember, herbal supplements are not monitored like medications. Doses and ingrediants can vary greatly among the same product. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR proir to taking ANY herbal supplement. Overall, some herbs are considered unsafe during lactation. You should avoid: Buckhorn, Burdock, Cascara, Cohosh, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Cornsilk, Dong Quai, Eucalyptus, Fever few, Ginseng, Golden Seal, Hawthorne, Horseradish, Pennyroyal, Sassafras, Senna, St. John's Wort, Yarrow. OKay, who really wants to consume a buckhorn or coltsfoot anyway?-haha..I,myself, like a chamomile mint tea in the evening to relax after a day chasing my 3 year old and what feels like breastfeeding all day.
Major brands of herbal teas are generally safe for breastfeeding.

I just asked my doctor about anti-depressants and breastfeeding yesterday. He said that only .1% gets into the breastmilk and the only antidepressant one should avoid while breastfeeding is Paxil- so happily, I can take my Lexapro with no worries!
-SBH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home