Sunday, February 15, 2009

Good Waffles!

If you are anything like me you will search the internet, cookbooks and magazines for THE perfect recipe. Well, I thought I’d share a really great recipe for Waffles because they are JUST the thing to make when your 2.5 year old wakes you up, says “FOOD” and it is SIX friggin clock in the morning. The smell wafting through the house is enough to cheer anyone up.
Obviously to make waffles you need a waffle iron. If you don’t have one then I guess you are shit out of luck and frozen ones will have to do! Boohoo. Not QUITE the same but maybe better at 6am? Waffle irons come in all sorts of fun shapes such as- hearts, Mickey Mouse, and the good ol'squares which I have.

Basic Waffles:
Preheat your waffle iron
Whisk together in a large bowl :
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour- I have also used whole wheat flour-
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt

Whisk together in another bowl (or 4 cup pyrex works)
3 large eggs, well beaten
4 to 16 tablespoons UNSALTED butter This is ¼ to 2 sticks) 4 tablespoons is the “reduced fat” version, 8 is for the classic and 16 is for super crunchy, gout inducing deliciousness. I use 6 tablespoons and find them good…..
1 ½ cups milk- You can also use buttermilk but you will need to add ¼ teaspoon of Baking Soda. If you don’t have buttermilk at home it is really easy to make. For each cup of milk, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar. (Apple cider or white), quickly and gently stir it in let it sit for about 5 minutes. Et voila…

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently whisk together. I have a tendancy to over stir because somehow the lumps never look right- you do what is comfortable to you. I think it is probably fluffier if you don’t over stir…I am not a chemist so I don’t know… Anyway, moving on.
Spoon about ½ cup batter onto the hot waffle iron, spreading the batter to about ¼ inch of the edge (otherwise you get oozing mess down the sides. Close and bake until waffle is golden or until iron dings if you have that kind. The longer you keep it in there the crispier it will get.
Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven until the masses have assembled.

If you wish you can add things like raisins, berries, banana, shredded coconut, chocolate, bacon, cheese, etc. I wouldn’t add more then a ½ cup of any of it…
I, myself, leave them as is and serve with maple syrup.

You can also add fresh fruit, whip cream or whatever after they have been cooked.

And if you are feeling very Martha Stewart you can put powdered sugar on them and garnish the plate with edible flowers and mint.

Have a good morning!

-SBH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home