Monday, February 23, 2009

Lavender and Pregnancy

When I was uncomfortable pregnant vomit queen, I always looked for things to help me relax. I would slather on the lavender oils, the lavender creams, spray the lavender spritz and pick lavender from my backyard. Imagine my surprise when I went to an essential oils soap store and they told me NOT to use lavender because I was poisoning my unborn baby. I was quite alarmed by this so I did a search on the Internet JUST to make sure….

Lavender has been used for many purposes including loss of appetite, nervousness, insomnia, acne, headaches, diabetes, rheumatic pain, nerve pain, and colds. Lavender is the most versatile of essential oils. It is relaxing and refreshing, uplifts the spirits, and helps to relieve the distress of muscle pain. Lavender is balancing for the mind and calming for the body.
It hasn’t been tested enough to know if there are effects on an unborn child. This is also true of many other “herbal remedies” such as chamomile and rose.
According to one website the following oils should not be used during pregnancy:
Basil, Birch, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Cypress, Geranium, Hyssop, Jasmine, Juniper, Marjoram, Myrrh, Nutmeg, Peppermint, Rosemary, Tarragon, Thyme.
It continues with-
The following oils should not be used during the first trimester of pregnancy, and used with caution during the remainder of the pregnancy. Use in small amounts and well diluted (1-2 % for massage: 3-4 drops added to carrier oil for baths. If you have a history of miscarriage DONT USE AT ALL: Chamomile, Geranium, Lavender, Rose

Well I used 3 out of four of those my child is normal enough. Oh the horror.

There are so many contradictions out there…for example: Mothernature.com says, “Lavender is most fitting in an oil for pregnancy. A muscle relaxant, lavender flowers were traditionally heated and pounded into a poultice, then placed on the woman's lower back to ease tension and loosen tight muscles during childbirth. As one of the first things the baby smelled, lavender also became a bonding fragrance. European mothers made lavender pillows for their children to sleep with as a reminder that they would always be loved.” Sounds good to me.
I am not sure WHY we can’t use some of these herbs or if I actually believe that these things are bad for you. I can’t find any strong evidence that it is or isn’t…but if you are worried I would consult with your Dr. or aromatherapist- if you are fancy enough to have one. Can I still roast chicken with Tarragon or Rosemary? Hmmm…
It seems that MOST of the information out there supports the use of lavender so I continued to slather, spritz and hoped that junior wasn't born with one eye. Thankfully, he was born with two beautiful blues....
But don't take my word for it...do your research!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home