Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Are Crocs bad for your kid's feet?

Whenever I see a child wearing Crocs I think they look so damn cute. I have been thinking of getting a pair for my daughter and hadn't yet because I was deliberating over what color to get. This was posted on peachhead- I thought this would be of interest since many kids ARE sporting crocs. I haven't found much evidence saying that Crocs are bad for kids on the web- only that they ar great for adults....

The question was "Are Crocs bad for my child's feet?"

Dr. Blumofe (a Podiatrist) replied:
I would NOT recommend Crocs for Kids or Teens. The biggest concerns I would
have with them, especially in the developing foot, is that they are "inflare
lasted". Turn the shoe over, and draw a line from the center of the heel to the end of the toes, as straight line. The line ends around where the 4th toe is. If you look at the bottom, you'll see the shoe flare inwards. The forces the foot into an In-toed position, which will deform the foot and cause many problems later in life (pigeon toes).
Also, if you choose not to use the heel strap, it becomes a slide, which causes other problems, such as inducing hammer toes (this goes for adults too!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home