Monday, May 01, 2006

Morning Sickness Meds

So who ever knew that pregnancy-for some of us- is just about the worst thing ever????? As a younger person I fantasized about it and how great it would be- lovingly rubbing my growing tummy, glowing and smiling. Little did I know I would spend a good few months with my face in the toilet wishing I was dead- or at least in a coma until I had the baby.

I know there are many many women who actually think being pregnant is great- which would explain those people who have 12 children. But for some of us it is really REALLY awful.
When you have severe morning sickness or hyperemesis, which I have been blessed with for both pregnancies- there are a few medications that are prescribed. The big ones are Reglan and Zofran.
Reglan increases the contractions of the stomach and small intestine, helping the passage of food. Not only is it given to treat the symptoms of diabetic gastroparesis, a condition in which the stomach does not contract, but to those suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disorder (backflow of stomach contents into the esophagus). In addition, it is given to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy and surgery.

Zofran is used for the prevention of nausea and vomiting caused by radiation therapy and chemotherapy for cancer, and, in some cases, to prevent these problems following surgery.
OK, so it is great that they have these medications but there are side effects to everything.
One of my worst pregnancy experiences was ending up in the ER because I had vomited 17 times that day. I was immediately administered Reglan. How was I to know that this drug SHOULD not be given to people on antidepressants (I take Lexapro- perfectly safe for baby) or who have history of anxiety. And worst of all why wasn’t I asked? Literally a minute after I was given the drug via IV, I started getting anxious and couldn’t keep still. I was left alone and basically felt like I went psychotic. So the poor little fetus thought his mom had gone crazy with all the cortisol that must have been pumped into his little developing arteries and organs. Well ol’ Mama ripped out the IV and ended up walking out of the hospital. Fight or flight. So basically my message here is beware of the medications and make sure your history is really discussed before they start injecting you and turning you into Mr. Hyde..or is it Dr. Jekyl?.

I ended up taking Zofran… First by a pump that delivered me a squirt every few minutes into my leg and then finally when I had too much scar tissue to poke myself anymore –the pill form. The worst part about taking this medication is severe constipation. So I guess I have to wait until Junior here is born and then I can go…
These medications won’t keep you from throwing up- BUT they keep it to a minimum. Just remember that the more often you eat the less likely you are to get nauseous. I know that doesn’t sound good when everything you eat ends up on the floor, or in the toilet but you gotta try….smoothies worked for me. And the one positive thing….yes, there is one….you get skinny! Oh and you also get a baby in the end.

SBH

1 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going through a pregnancy like this is the ultimate 'labor of love'. And we dont hear much about these really tough pregancies. Thanks for sharing the meds info. May you be rewarded with a healthy, happy baby who loves to sleep!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home